I found this video to have a lot of good points, so I felt the need to share it. I started out freelancing as much as I could while I was in college. Since getting a full-time job I’ve cut back on the freelancing but still really enjoy doing it even though I don’t have to. When I do get some freelancing jobs, I’ll be sure to keep these points in mind.
Quick points from the video
Watch the video for an expansion of these ideas.
- Make a good workspace for yourself
- Be nice to clients
- Be able to explain what you’re doing
- Choose your clients carefully and set boundaries for work hours
- Take money up front as a deposit
- Set up retainers with set pay dates
- Make a contract – Right Signature
- Figure out a reasonable hourly rate
- Factor in responding to emails and other tasks that you wouldn’t think of
- It’s not about getting as much $ as you can out of people – be professional, be friendly